Sunday, June 9, 2013

Creation of a Computer Game

By Vahe Karamian

Well, if you are reading this article, it must be that you are interested in the design and development of computer games. Great! So in this article and hopefully in the future follow-up articles I will be discussing some of my own practical and non-practical experiences while designing and developing computer games.

If you are like me and a million other individuals in the known world, at one point in time chances are you wondered, how can we create a world where things are nice and smooth! And if you had the technical ability and the creative skills, you started venturing into different areas to test and experiment your ideas and theories and etc...

From a young age, I got interested into computers and the world of programming, based on some of the really nice and entertaining Sci-Fi movies I have seen as a child. They made me wonder how things work and how to make things better, and eventually being able to create virtual representation of the real world.

Not to get off-tangent too much here, while playing games throughout the years, I always wanted to create something of my own. By default, I really don't think much about the money or the financial compensation. I just want to create something that will be rewarding for myself, and for the people who actually enjoy playing it.

So, the most difficult part of any creation is the creation of the idea. The Vision. What should the game be about? How should I develop the storyline? What are going to be the missions and the objectives? What are going to be the rewards? How are the in-game elements going to be categories and sub-categorized? How many types of character classes are we going to have? And the list can go on and on. You get the idea!

Then, there is the technical stuff that you must start thinking about. What platforms do I create the game for? Which game engine do I use? Do we need to create or extend an existing game engine? How are we going to package the game assets (3D Models/Resources/Code/Media)? Where am I going to find the necessary resources to give me the ability to complete the game?

And of-course, we have the marketing department! We need to be able to make the game appealing and spread the word for the game!

So, here are the three main areas in a nutshell that you will face:

1. The Game: What is it about, and all of the goodies that comes with it.
2. The Technical Mambo-Jumbo: Basically the assets and the brains of the game.
3. The Marketing: Spreading the good WORD.

I will be discussing my progress and dilemma in the making of my game over the next few articles that will be published throughout the course.

I have faced challenges in all of the areas and I have overcome the challenges slowly by learning from the mistakes that I have made and also from different viewpoints and inputs that I have received from friends and colleagues.

Until we meet again!

Sincerely,
Vah� Karamian

Noorcon Game Studios is a young indie game studio located in Los Angeles, CA.

Check us out @ [http://www.noorcon.com/Projects/Private/KORK.aspx]Noorcon Game Studios -  [mailto:sales@noorcon.com]sales@noorcon.com

Article Source: [http://EzineArticles.com/?Creation-of-a-Computer-Game&id=7704736] Creation of a Computer Game

No comments:

Post a Comment